Friday, February 6, 2009

Illmatic

So here was my logic. I remember picking up the pssl magazine and picking everything out for myself. I remember like it was yesterday man. Two Technics 1200s, Vestax pmc 05 mixer, Bose speakers (mind you, this is more then thirteen years ago so the powered speakers were just a thought), crown amp... I use to right down the list and tell my mom that this was what I wanted and this was what is was going to cost. She use to tell me the same thing over and over again. " Cuando me llega el income tax." And I use to watch television, M.T.V. & BET hoping to see a D.J. spin. The Mc introduced me to the D.J., and the D.J. introduced me to everyone else.

I remember meeting everyone, the artist, the breaker, and the producer. They had and always will have a crazy crew. It was when I became a part of Hip Hop. I remember sitting down with all them and getting accepted by everyone. 

But the two that I could relate to the most was the breaker and D.J. I was fascinated by these two. I remember seeing  Beat Street in like 1990 (Mind you I was two years old and remember this). I remember everyone spinning on the floor and it just looked sick. It was like seeing a magic trick, and appreciating what was going on, instead of trying to figure out. I remember seeing Special K moving his hand back and forth one the metal square that I had in my house. Lol. Just didn't get the full gist of what he was doing. 

The D.J. has always been a part of my life so to speak. My pops was a D.J. back in the 70s. I got the pictures to prove it. Then my cousin Franklin, he was always into the whole D.J. movement back in the early 90s. But I could recall two moments that made me want to become a part of that movement. Juice & Funkmaster Flex's 60 Minutes of Funk Vol. 3.

Juice was an ill movie. I saw it in either 1992 or early 1993. First of all, I remember hearing the scratches in the song Juice by Eric B. & Rakim. The scratches were serious on that track. When Omar Epps (Gee Q) is doing his thing...It was crazy for me. When he's his his room alone and also when he's battling. Classic Hip Hop scenes.

"Good Times..." I remember hearing him come on the mic in his intro in 60 Minutes of Funk Vol. 3. I use to listen to that one track over and over again. 

Fast Forward to November 2007. I decide to get my first set and from there the sky is the limit. In the first year, have done more then I could have asked for, hence the title, Illmatic. The second is going to be even better. 

The goal is to hit every club in Queens this year, as well as becoming a house hold name in this industry. I'm taking this to a whole other level this year. The movement is officially in full effect!!!!

I will be documenting the whole year. Let you know the inside scope on all of what is going. I mean all of it, the good, the bad, the real deal. 

D.J. of The Week

Jam Master Jay R.I.P

1 comment:

  1. DJ Abel, let me first say I commend you for your dedication. In the short time I have known you, your dedication has been one of the many outstanding character traits which I admire about you. Secondly, Juice is a classic for us all. That being said, seeing how goal-orientated you are and again your excellent dedication, I'm sure you'll keep achieving all your goals in due time. Just keep moving forward and remember this proverb; "Siempre pa lante mijo, nunca para tras, ni para cojer impulso."

    I look forward to your updates and will be following your blog.

    Warmest Regard,
    --
    Russo

    ReplyDelete