Saturday, February 7, 2009

Now & Then

I mean, I understand. In life, things are not supposed to be simple. Things are not suppose to be just handed to you. I'm sure that a lot of the old school D.J.s feel this about this Serato era. I understand that 100%. I am all about earning the respect in anything so I does not bother me as much. 

That being said, I do believe in progression. I am an advocate for innovation, so I believe that things that can move forward, will move forward. I get what carrying the crates and cd books did for those D.J.s, and I do think that it was important. That being said, I don't think that me not taking part in the physical era of the art form prevents me from being any less of a good D.J. I wish I could have gotten the education that the pioneers had. But thats what makes them the pioneers.

People, let me clear up any misconceptions about being a D.J. NO, you are not just playing music. It does not consist of just pressing play and letting everyone dance. NO, going out and buying Serato Scratchlive does not make you a D.J. It does put you in a better position to learn at a more rapid pace, but it does make you an official one. I have been out a lot, seen some guys with macs, and have heard many train reck in the process. I have also seen some guys using cds and also been a mess. I think it more about the person, the preparation, and also the crowd man. "You have to play to your crowd" is what Phraze tells me and it's true. 

"D.J. is just like a boxing match. There are 12 rounds in a boxing match. You have to do what ever you can to win all those rounds. And you know what, there will be times that you will be losing the first few, but you have to make sure that no matter what, at the end of that twelfth round, your standing victorious." My man Lex told me this one day. I was sitting in his living room and he told me this which was probably one of the most important things I have ever heard in my life. And it is true. It is a perfect simile. A lot goes into a Boxing match. The training before, all the way up until the first punch was thrown, to the score cards read. You have to make sure that you got your music right. Then, you have to be creative with it as well. D.J. Cre-8 who is one of my favorite D.J. because the dude is creative as hell. A lot goes into it. Trust me.

I definitely do not think that having a laptop make this any easier. Yes, it helps. But without putting the hours in to your craft, doing your music homework, and individuality, then your just like everyone that wants to take the easy way out. The Serato is god sent for everyone I think.  What it is doing is providing more competition. Which in a sense is good, just not during a recession. But it is raising the bar for everyone and in doing so, making the music playback that much better. None the less, it is the shit. Honestly, it makes everyone better, but it can also make everyone worst just as easily. 

Now, I am a product of the Serato era. But I know what time it is. I've been a fan of this for years so I get it. From listening to Funkmaster Flex back in the 90s, to watching D.J. Scribble tear up MTV's Spring Break, to watching D.J. AM do mash ups on the fly on youtube. I know what time it is, and one way or another, the respect will be earned. 

Peace

D.J. Of The Week

Jam Master Jay R.I.P


No comments:

Post a Comment